Links & Resources
- OMama: Download this Canadian-based app to track your pregnancy, birth and early parenting week by week; connect with programs and resources; get expert advice and tips.
- PregnancyInfo.ca is an initiative of the Society of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists of Canada, Canada’s leading authority on sexual and reproductive health.
- Public Cord Blood Bank – Canadian Blood Services: Canada’s public cord blood donation bank.
Medication/Drug Exposure In Pregnancy:
- Safe medications in pregnancy: Access Live Chat with experts regarding medications, vaccines, infectious diseases, herbal supplements, chemicals, beauty products and more during pregnancy and while nursing.
- Flu Shot Information – Waterloo Public Health: Waterloo Region Public Health’s statement on Influenza Vaccine Fact Sheet – Who Should Get the Flu Shot.
- Seasonal Influenza Resources – Public Health Agency of Canada
- Smoking Cessation Support: Resources and support for pregnant women.
Exercise & Nutrition:
- Eating for a Healthy Pregnancy: Easy-to-use nutrition information to help make healthier food choices easier. Foods to avoid during pregnancy. Contact on-line or speak directly to a Registered Dietician.
- Spinning Babies: Reduce pain, increase comfort, and help babies into a good position.
- Prenatal Screening: What prenatal screening offers at a glance.
- Enhanced First Trimester Screening (EFTS): Prenatal Screening Ontario – For Parents
- Non-Invasive Prenatal Testing Fact Sheet: A new way to screen your pregnancy to see if your baby has an increased chance of having a few specific chromosome disorders.
- Prenatal Anxiety: a self-management guide for women with anxiety.
- Prenatal Depression: a self-management guide for women with depression.
- When Your Pregnancy Goes Past Your Due Date (PDF, 860 KB)
2a. LABOUR - BIRTH
Water Birth Supplies: Birthing pool rental in Kitchener-Waterloo—contact Rebecca at Tummies to Toes.
PROM—Prelabour Rupture of Membranes: When Your Water Breaks Before Labour (PDF, 703 KB)
2b. LABOUR - BIRTH: Birth Videos
2c. LABOUR - BIRTH: TOLAC (Trial of Labour After Caesarean) (formerly VBAC, Vaginal Birth After Caesarean)
Association of Ontario Midwives Statement on VBAC
VBAC: Information from the SOGC (Society of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists of Canada)
Deciding How to Give Birth After a Caesarean Section (Association of Ontario Midwives) (PDF, 617 KB)
2d. LABOUR - BIRTH: Grand River Hospital
Grand River Hospital Childbirth Unit
What to expect when you have a baby at the hospital.
Grand River Hospital Childbirth Unit Tour
Watch a ‘virtual’ tour of the childbirth unit
Grand River Hospital Registration Forms
Download birth pre-registration forms, pre-anesthetic patient questionnaire.
3. PLACE OF BIRTH
Home Birth Study – 2015: Outcomes associated with planned place of birth among women with low-risk pregnancies.
Choosing Homebirth AOM Video
For additional Place of Birth information, please see the Place of Birth section on this website.
4. INFANT FEEDING
Breastfeeding Buddies of Waterloo
Prenatal Breastfeeding Workshop: Free 2-hour virtual workshop.
Dr. Jack Newman, Breastfeeding Specialist: Get your tough breastfeeding questions answered by a Canadian expert; great video clips.
Breastfeeding Support in Waterloo Region: Links to all breastfeeding resources in the region including lactation consultants.
Infact Canada: Promotion and support of breastfeeding and optimal infant feeding practices.
La Leche League: Mother-to-mother breastfeeding support.
Lactation Consultant: Private lactation (breastfeeding) consultant services in Waterloo Region.
Infection Prevention: Important information from the CDC outlining steps for keeping breast pump kits clean.
Registering your Baby’s Birth – Service Ontario
Immunizations / Vaccine Schedule (Ontario)
Newborn Screening Fact Sheets: Information about newborn screening tests.
Car Seat Safety Information: The Kitchener branch of the Infant & Toddler Safety Association provides information on correct use of car seats.
Purple Crying: A new way to understand your baby’s crying.
The Wonder Weeks: Understand your baby’s mental “leaps” and when/why your baby may be fussy.
What is Jaundice? (PDF, 245 KB)
What Is Phototherapy and Why Does My Baby Need It? (PDF, 686 KB)
6. POST PARTUM
BounceBack Ontario is a free skill-building program managed by the Canadian Mental Health Association (CMHA). It is designed to help adults and youth 15+ manage low mood, mild to moderate depression and anxiety, stress or worry. Delivered over the phone with a coach and through online videos, you will get access to tools that will support you on your path to mental wellness.
Life With A Baby: Post Partum Mood Disorder Resources
Post Partum Mood Disorders
Mothers Matter: An on-line support group through Women’s College Hospital for women with mood /adjustment challenges following the birth of their baby.
Coping with Depression during Pregnancy or Postpartum
A self-management guide for women dealing with depression.
Coping with Anxiety during Pregnancy or Postparum
A self-management guide for women dealing with anxiety.
Post Partum Mood Disorders Video: This video introduces the topic of postpartum mood disorders. Interviews with real mothers and their families make this an appealing resource for pregnant women and new mothers. 17 minutes.
7. COMMUNITY RESOURCES
Down Syndrome Society: Regional support for parents dealing with a possible diagnosis or positive diagnosis.
Early On Child & Family Centres offer free online and in-person programs for children, their parents, and caring adults. Qualified EarlyON Professionals will be on-site who can provide support, advice, and helpful resources.
Yemaya Natural Products: A Canadian home-based business offering 100% natural handcrafted personal care products, including herbal bath and calendula ointment.
8. GOVERNING / ASSOCIATED BODIES
The regulating and governing body for midwives.
Association of Ontario Midwives: Listing of all midwives and midwifery practices in Ontario. Videos and information about midwifery care, pregnancy and birth.
9. PREGNANCY & INFANT LOSS
Bereaved Families of Ontario (Kitchener-Waterloo & Area)
Support for those dealing with pregnancy loss and infertility, infant loss, grief.
Life after Miscarriage and Pregnancy Loss: Groups for women, couples experiencing grief, recovery, trying again.
Waterloo Region Pregnancy and Infant Loss Support: Peer support to bereaved parents in Kitchener, Waterloo, Cambridge, and surrounding areas who are grieving a miscarriage, stillbirth, or infant death
10. WOMEN'S HEALTH
Birth Control Information: Comparative information from the SOGC of family planning options.
Video: Post Partum Mood Disorders – Life With a New Baby video
This video introduces the topic of postpartum mood disorders. Interviews with real families make this an appealing resource. 17 minutes.
Pelvic Health (pelvic floor physiotherapy) or Pelvic Health Solutions: Evidence-based information for patients and health care practitioners for managing pelvic health concerns including pelvic pain, incontinence, constipation and prolapse.
Women’s Health Matters: Sunnybrook and Women’s College Health Sciences Centre and The Centre for Research in Women’s Health offer current information on pregnancy and childbirth.
Women’s Health Concerns Clinic: Provides assessment, consultation, and treatment, for women 18-years-of-age or older who are experiencing physical and/or emotional symptoms related to the reproductive milestones (i.e. menstrual cycle, pregnancy/postpartum, and menopause).
11. MIDWIFERY EDUCATION
For information about Midwifery Education, and these programs, please see our Midwifery Education page.
- McMaster University Midwifery Education Program
- Ryerson Midwifery Education Program
- Internationally Educated Midwives
Pregnant and looking for care?
Please connect with us as soon as possible to check for availability.